Landlord gas safety certificates

By law, any landlord who supplies gas appliances in tenanted accommodation must get them checked and listed in a Gas Safety Certificate every 12 months. All gas appliances must be checked, including fires, cookers, hobs, water heaters and boilers.

Call Total Plumb and rest assured that all these checks and any maintenance or repairs are being carried out by a reputable Gas Safe registered company at highly competitive prices.

What does it involve?

Numerous procedures must be followed strictly before a Landlord Gas Safety Certificate can be issued:

  • • Check appliance for gas tightness (ie no leaks)
  • • Check standing and working pressure
  • • Check ventilation
  • • Check burner pressure and gas rate
  • • Test flue flow to ensure removal of combustion by-products
  • • Check operation of flame failure devices
  • • Tightness test for full system
  • • Check overall condition and investigate for any evidence of unsafe operation, including electrical bonding
  • • Combustion performance - analyse appliance and provide printed report
  • • Inspect gas hob and cooker (where applicable)

Note: if gas fires are present an additional charge per appliance will be added to test these as part of the safety check.

As a landlord you are legally obliged to ensure that:

  • • All pipe work, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained and safe
  • • An annual gas safety check is carried out on every appliance and/or flue that you provide for tenants' use
  • • Any repairs, servicing, maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer
  • • You keep a record of each safety check for a minimum of two years
  • • You issue a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate to an existing tenant within 28 days of the check being carried out, or to any new tenants when they move in
  • • All gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting

Your tenants’ rights

Any tenant has the right to view a Landlord Gas Safety Certificate for the property they occupy. If you fail to provide one within a reasonable time the tenant must report you to Gas Safe, which is run by the Health and Safety Executive.

For more information go to